Tuesday, June 02, 2009

What do you do when....

...you've made something for someone else, and when you get it finished, you like it so much you don't want to give it away?

This is a "quiltie," a miniature 10" square quilt, that I made for a swap. The challenge was to try a new technique or block or design. Several years ago, I had bought the quilting book Circle Play because I was so intrigued with the idea of the interplay of lines and color between the circles and triangles in the author's quilts. Naturally, after purchasing the book and oohing and aahing over all the pictures, I never actually made a project with the techniques.

Until now.

Wow. This was challenging. Picking the primary fabric for the circles was easy. Background fabrics, not so much. Then cut and piece. Then lay out circles in multiple positions to find the best effect, stitch them on. Then decide to add piping. Then make the border, piecing fabrics and aligning them to get the visual effect I wanted. Then ponder how to do the quilting. Quilt, then add binding and a tiny label.



I love, love, love how it came out. These colors are so "me." Even my husband said, "Wow! That's really pretty!" when he saw it, and getting a wow out of him is no small feat. This is one of my most favorite projects ever.

The big problem now - I'm supposed to mail it to my swap partner. And I don't wanna!!!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I love your little quilt. I am so glad you like the one I made for you. I felt the same way you do...didn't want to send it, but I am glad it went to someone who likes it!

TC said...

Oh, it's going into a place of honor, on a wall with another amazing swap I received. The other one was envelope art, 5 drawings of little birds done in black & white on a red envelope, which I cut up and framed. So the block is going to coordinate beautifully!