Tuesday, October 18, 2005

One Christmas gift done, 12 (or more) to go...



This is a flannel quilt I made for my brother & his wife. They have FIVE boys, so I know this quilt will be machine washed & dried a lot, and probably won't live to see "heirloom" status. For that reason, I broke a few quilting rules.
1) I used polyester thread, which is normally a no-no with cotton fabrics, because the polyester cuts through the cotton. But the poly thread is stronger and should last a long time.
2) I sewed the binding on the back and then machine stitched it down on the front. Normally I sew it to the front first, then hand-stitch it down on the back, but again, the change was made in the interest of longevity.
3) I used a cheap batting from WalMart. I hate this lumpy batting, but it worked okay with machine quilting and the thicker flannel fabrics.
This family is big into outdoor activities - camping, kayaking, hunting - so the fabric themes "fit" them. I decided to free motion quilt pine trees in each black square. I like the way they came out, even though I had to do some of them upside down to get the quilt under the machine. :)

2 comments:

lindiepindie said...

Are you really going to MAKE 12 quilts? I'm am humbled by your sewing abilities! Those trees look pretty cute - I'm impressed that you can do that upside down, but I can understand - no amount of bunching can make sewing those easy if they're on the far side of the quilt!

Adrienne said...

So cool! I LOVE flannel so much! I could live in it, easily. Yeah, 12 quilts? It's October! OH my...