Tuesday, October 18, 2005
This is a flannel quilt I made for my brother & his wife. They have FIVE boys, so I know this quilt will be machine washed & dried a lot, and probably won't live to see "heirloom" status. For that reason, I broke a few quilting rules.
1) I used polyester thread, which is normally a no-no with cotton fabrics, because the polyester cuts through the cotton. But the poly thread is stronger and should last a long time.
2) I sewed the binding on the back and then machine stitched it down on the front. Normally I sew it to the front first, then hand-stitch it down on the back, but again, the change was made in the interest of longevity.
3) I used a cheap batting from WalMart. I hate this lumpy batting, but it worked okay with machine quilting and the thicker flannel fabrics.
This family is big into outdoor activities - camping, kayaking, hunting - so the fabric themes "fit" them. I decided to free motion quilt pine trees in each black square. I like the way they came out, even though I had to do some of them upside down to get the quilt under the machine. :)
Thursday, October 13, 2005
I've made fabric bowls before, but this was my first attempt at a box. On the first go round, I didn't read the directions carefully and ended up having to throw out the box bottom. THEN, I re-read everything and found I didn't have enough of the original fabric to match the completed box top, so I had to dig around in my stash to find a suitable match. Lesson learned - READ everything carefully and more than once, and check each step before proceeding!
I'm going to attempt a few more of these in different shapes and with beaded trim.